Austrian Airlines new 737-800

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Singapore

Once we landed in Singapore it was time to burn five hours before we had to catch a six hour flight to Tokyo. Maybe it was the excitement of being in a new airport for the first time or just that I wasn't tired.  For some reason I choose not to sleep which was quite idiotic on my part seeing as we would be moving non stop from this moment forward.  The next morning the plane arrived, a boeing 777, and we went to the ticket desk to see if we would get lucky and get another business class seat but there were none to be had.  We were given a consolation though, premium economy which gives you extra legroom.  The flight took off for Japan and I spent much of it glued to the window drawing in as much of the pacific ocean as possible.

When we landed we looked at our watches and noticed that the first flight that was leaving to San Francisco was leaving very, very soon.  United was kind enough to have set up a line for customers that needed to catch a connecting flight and so we breezed through security and ran on towards the plane.  Once at the ticket desk, gasping and panting, I managed to spit out that we were on the stand by list.  Before the words had finished leaving my mouth I was handed one gold ticket and one blue.  The gold was a business class seat and the blue a economy one.  Walking back to my dad I made the argument that since this was my birthday trip I should get the business class seat.  This turned out to not be as good as I thought it would be.  More on that in the next post.


-max

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you were one of those people you see sprinting through the airport trying to catch their next flight! I cannot believe you were looking out of the window over the ocean because whenever I go over sees I always try to fall asleep since I am not a big fan of a huge thousands of pounds in the air over the ocean does not make sense to me. I am not a big fan of flying and going over water for long periods of time does not setting in my stomach. Sounds like an interesting trip especially with the stand by situation. I look forward to hearing from you about your next blog and what seat you got on the way to San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete